LPA Exemptions

Online Will Writing Blog Article
Table of Contents
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents

    There are some Exemptions available to the fees charged for Lasting Power of Attorneys by the Office of the Public Guardian, the details are below, if you need to have the paperwork drawn up on your behalf so that you can apply successfully for an LPA please call me on 01305 774786:


    If the donor receives any of the following means-tested benefits when an application to register is made, they can apply for an exemption:

    • Income Support
    • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
    • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
    • Guarantee Credit element of State Pension Credit
    • Housing Benefit
    • Council Tax Reduction/Support – also known by other names (not the 25% single person discount or the Class U exemption)
    • Local Housing Allowance
    • A combination of Working Tax Credit and at least one of:
    – Child Tax Credit
    – Disability Element of Working Tax Credit
    – Severe Disability Element of Working Tax Credit

    Not included: Disability Living Allowance, Invalidity Benefit, Personal Independence Payment


    If the donor has been awarded personal injury damages of more than £16,000 which were ignored when they were assessed for one of the above benefits, they won’t qualify for exemption.

    Supporting evidence for exemption

    You need to send copies of letters from a benefit provider showing the donor received at least 1 of the listed benefits at the time you applied to register. Letters must confirm that the benefit was being paid to the donor and include their printed details (title, full name, address and postcode).

    Remission based on income

    If the donor’s gross annual income is less than £12,000, they may be eligible for a 50% reduction of the fee. Gross annual income is income before tax. It may come from employment, non-means-tested benefits (such as Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment), pensions, Pensions Savings Credit, interest from savings and investments, or the rent of property.

    Supporting evidence for remission

    You need to send proof of the donor’s gross annual income. Evidence must relate to the time you sent the application to register. We can’t accept bank statements. Evidence can be:
    Paid employment – A P60 or 3 months’ consecutive wage slips from current employment.
    Non-means-tested benefits and pensions – an official letter or notice from the payer.
    Interest from capital, stocks, shares or bonds – statements or vouchers showing gross income.
    Self-employment – most recent self-assessment tax return and HMRC tax calculation, or audited account certified by a qualified accountant.

    If the donor receives no income, they must send a signed statement explaining how they support themselves. If they don’t have mental capacity their attorney or solicitor can supply and sign this statement.

    Remission based on Universal Credit

    A donor may qualify for remission if they receive Universal Credit.

    Supporting evidence of Universal Credit

    You need to send copies of letters showing the donor received Universal Credit at the time you applied to register. Letters must confirm that the benefit was being paid to the donor and include their printed details (title, full name, address and postcode).


    If an application for exemption or remission is unsuccessful, you can appeal within 4 weeks of the decision by writing to the Head of Corporate Services. If the original decision is upheld, it will be referred to the Public Guardian for confirmation.


    If the donor doesn’t qualify for remission or exemption, but paying fees would cause hardship – for example, paying would mean they couldn’t meet normal living costs – you can apply to have fees waived. To claim write to OPG explaining why payment would cause hardship, enclosing bank statements and other documents showing all savings, income and outgoings.

    Share this post

    Matt Walkden Will Writer

    About Matt Walkden

    I am a Professional Will Writer and I offer a small number of other products that complement my Will Writing such as Lasting Power of Attorneys (LPA’s), Fixed Price Estate Administration, often called Probate and some Property Products such as changing a family home from Joint owners to Tenants in Common.

    Contact An Expert Today

    Pay by Card or PayPal

    Read why over 13,000 people have written a will with us...

    As well as the many hundreds of times our clients recommend us to their friends and families, please read what some of them have written to us and said…

    “They really do cover everything thoroughly and provide comprehensive supporting information with friendly and empathetic telephone support, during what could be for some people, a traumatic process. I am so pleased thatI found them whilst doing a lot of research online and I can now rest assured that my legacy is in safe hands.”
    Mrs R. Dow, Cornwall
    “I’m very impressed with the service that your company has offered and how quick and hassle free the process has been. I will definitely recommend your service to my family and friends.”
    Miss D. Blakley – Kent
    “Please be assured that I have found your service to be nothing short of exceptional and will have no hesitation in recommending yourselves to anyone considering making a Will.”
    Mr A. Sharp, Cornwall

    Worked with us recently? Leave us a review.

    Latest Blog Posts

    When it comes to your peace of mind and your family’s welfare, the right time is now. Take a few moments to start the process of creating your will today and receive the first draft in as little as 48 hours.

    Deceased Estate Online Will Services

    Deed of Variation

    Deed of Variation and the three main ways that they can be used to protect assets and reduce Inheritance Tax
    Read More
    Will Writing Guardians

    The Importance of Family Will Writing

    Many people, especially young families, postpone family will writing. Maybe it is because it may seem unpleasant, far off, or it appears as a physical ...
    Read More
    Town Houses Blog

    Your Home

    Make Sure the Right People Inherit Your Home For most of us these days our home is our biggest asset. And with mortgage interest rate ...
    Read More