Gift with Reservation

Online Will Writing Blog Article
Property Trusts
Table of Contents
    Add a header to begin generating the table of contents

    A Gift with Reservation of Benefit or GROB is a trap that many families have fallen into or are in danger of falling into due to poor advice that’s often come from “a friend in the pub” or “someone I was chatting to in the coffee shop”.

    These people think that if a parent gifts some or all of the family home to their children whilst they are still alive then it will be outside their estate and so cannot be taken to pay for the cost of care in later life or by any other creditor for any other reason.

    Unfortunately, unless the parents are paying the full market rent for the element of the property that they do not own, and the children are declaring that rent for Income Tax purposes, then the gift is classed as a GROB. Meaning that the Government or Local Authority do not consider the gift to have occurred at all, the parents have gifted the property but are reserving the right to live in it.

    Sometimes people in this situation have mentioned to me the “seven year rule” which they think applies, it doesn’t! The seven year rule refers to Potentially Exempt Transfers in relation to Inheritance Tax. Nothing to do with protection of assets.

    This can also present another problem for the children as well, once transferred, unless the children live in the same home, it becomes a second home for them, from the date of the original transfer the clock starts ticking for Capital Gains Tax and so this tax amount is likely to grow more than it would if they had inherited the property through their parent’s wills.

    The best way for parents to protect the family home, usually their largest asset, and avoid their actions from being considered a Gift with Reservation is to change the Land Registry title from Joint owners to Tenants in Common and include in their wills some sort of asset protection trust, often a Protective Property Trust unless the family have numerous other assets.

    Share this post

    Matt Walkden Will Writer

    About Matt Walkden

    I am a Professional Will Writer and I offer a small number of other products that complement my Will Writing such as Lasting Power of Attorneys (LPA’s), Fixed Price Estate Administration, often called Probate and some Property Products such as changing a family home from Joint owners to Tenants in Common.

    Contact An Expert Today

    Pay by Card or PayPal

    Read why over 13,000 people have written a will with us...

    As well as the many hundreds of times our clients recommend us to their friends and families, please read what some of them have written to us and said…

    “They really do cover everything thoroughly and provide comprehensive supporting information with friendly and empathetic telephone support, during what could be for some people, a traumatic process. I am so pleased thatI found them whilst doing a lot of research online and I can now rest assured that my legacy is in safe hands.”
    Mrs R. Dow, Cornwall
    “I’m very impressed with the service that your company has offered and how quick and hassle free the process has been. I will definitely recommend your service to my family and friends.”
    Miss D. Blakley – Kent
    “Please be assured that I have found your service to be nothing short of exceptional and will have no hesitation in recommending yourselves to anyone considering making a Will.”
    Mr A. Sharp, Cornwall

    Worked with us recently? Leave us a review.

    Latest Blog Posts

    When it comes to your peace of mind and your family’s welfare, the right time is now. Take a few moments to start the process of creating your will today and receive the first draft in as little as 48 hours.

    Deceased Estate Online Will Services

    Deed of Variation

    Deed of Variation and the three main ways that they can be used to protect assets and reduce Inheritance Tax
    Read More
    Will Writing Guardians

    The Importance of Family Will Writing

    Many people, especially young families, postpone family will writing. Maybe it is because it may seem unpleasant, far off, or it appears as a physical ...
    Read More
    Town Houses Blog

    Your Home

    Make Sure the Right People Inherit Your Home For most of us these days our home is our biggest asset. And with mortgage interest rate ...
    Read More